Friday, January 14, 2011

School



So I started school this week.  So I know not all of my readers are in school but I'm sure everyone can remember the feeling of going back to school. The scared feeling of wondering how your professors or teachers will be. The excitement of learning something new. The worry that homework will overtake your life. Wow I could go on and on, but I will spare you. Basically starting school is scary. At any time of your life. Whether you are 5 or 25 (neither of which I am, but you get the picture) starting another semester or year of school is a whole grab bag of feelings.

This time starting school is totally different than any other starting school however. Last year when I was in college it was so different. I was at a tiny Christian college with less than 500 students and I was not married. Then I took the semester off. Now I am married, and at a large community college.

So now I'm going to school and being a housewife. I know it doesn't sound like a lot but right now, it feels very overwhelming. I have some housework and yet I am also taking 5 classes.

I should probably say what my plans are and why I'm in school. After I get my AA from SPC in education. Then transfer to USF for my bachelors in social studies education. After that, I'm not sure. I want to start having kids after that and raising them, but I also want to teach history or civics in underprivileged high schools. That is a few years off so we will see where God leads then.

Another thing you should know about me is that this is the first time I've been in a large, secular setting for school. I was home schooled from kindergarten through high school. Then I started college at a small Christian school. So this is a huge transition. That is part of the scary part. Its so far out of my comfort zone. I've always been taught by people who basically believe the same things I do. I have never been taught by anyone who doesn't share my beliefs. Now I am.

So now I am taking 4 classes at a secular college. I am taking astronomy, technology in education, ethics, government and humanities. Technology in education and ethics are online, while the other three are in class. The neat thing is I take government with an old friend (we planned it that way). But when I showed up to humanities I saw an old friend I hadn't seen in years. We are taking the class together, which makes it much more interesting.

 I love all the classes but government. Which is ridiculous because I love government and politics. But this professor basically makes it miserable. The professor hates democracy, Republicans, Christians, any kind of government and most of all God. Its obvious he does not want to be teaching us. To top it off, he has a lot of historical and government facts wrong. I just don't like the class, but oh well.

I'm already overwhelmed with trying to juggle everything. This week I failed. I didn't get the laundry done or the house cleaned. I feel like its going to be hard to try to balance homework, school, taking care of the house and being a good wife to my husband. I tend to overcompensate on one thing. I'm not great at balancing things. Thankfully I have a husband who can help. He is great at helping me learn to balance life.

So I guess I am overwhelmed right now. I think I really enjoy being in school and having a schedule and all. I am looking forward to it. I think I just am worried I will fall apart and school work will fall and housework will fall and I'm concerned. I have high expectations for myself, especially when it comes to school. I just want to be able to balance things and do well. We will see.

1 comment:

  1. Going back to school after being out for a while is overwhelming. The clutch of fear in your stomach when you walk into the classroom for the first time to a new professor and new group of students that you don't know. You wonder if you're going to make an idiot out of yourself in front of them and be labelled such for the rest of your school career...(That's me, anyways...) Let me just say, it take a brave person to go back and balance being newly married and living on your own. I'm proud as punch of you!!! You will be amazing! The only way you couldn't be amazing is if you didn't try at all. XOXO - Ruth

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comments!! I love hearing from you. :)