Thursday, March 17, 2011

Giving Blood


Today I did something, I gave blood. I have given before once, and I've wanted to give since then. I always feel like I'm helping someone out when I do. My school was having a blood drive so I stopped by the blood mobile and gave. Its hard for people to get blood out of me because my veins are like almost invisible. Today they had to use a blood pressure cuff, instead of a tourniquet to find my vein. Thankfully though, they were able to stick me and draw blood first time.

I looked up some information about donating blood and was really interesting. You can find out information at the American Red Cross if you are interested. Here are a few facts:


Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood

More than 38,000 blood donations are needed every day

One out of every 10 people admitted in a hospital needs blood

Total blood transfusions in a given year: 14 million (2001)

The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 pints

The blood type most often requested by hospitals is Type O

A healthy donor may donate red blood cells every 56 days

The demand for blood transfusions is growing faster than donations

Less than 38% of the U.S. population is eligible to donate blood

Less than 38% of the U.S. population is eligible to donate blood

People with O- type blood are universal donors. Their blood can be given to people of all blood types. Only 7% of people in the U.S. have O- blood type

Type O- blood is often used in emergencies before the patient's blood type is known, and with newborns who need blood.
A lot of people are freaked out by blood or are scared. Its really not bad at all. There is nothing to be worried about. As Christians we are to help people, with no thought to personal gain. This is a good way to give unselfishly, especially when you do not have a money, like us.

What are your thoughts about blood donating? Have you done it? Are you scared to do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comments!! I love hearing from you. :)