Friday, February 25, 2011

Art I'm Loving

I'm taking a fine arts class right now which talks about all kinds of art and I wanted to post some art that I am loving right now. My mom instilled in us a love of good art and music (which I am very thankful for) and I have always loved art. So here is some art I'm loving. I hope you enjoy it too.


This is Michelangelo's Pieta. Pieta refers to when Christ is brought down from the cross. Typically it is Mary holding her son. The interesting thing about this picture is that while Jesus is life size Mary is gargantuan. Look at all the folds of her dress. This was carved from stone but the clothing looks so lifelike. Her face is so serene, yet haunting. She is contemplated and sad all at the same time.

This is Raphael's School of Athens. Raphael lived a very short life but in his short life achieved greatness with the likes of Leonardo Da Vinci and Michelangelo. He is known as the master of ordered space. This picture is one of a few he did in the Vatican. It shoes various Greek philosophers. On the right side are the science and math philosophers and the left are the more fine arts and philosophy philosophers. The two in the middle are Aristotle and Socrates. There are so many details in this picture that I could go on and on about but I won't. I do advise you to go look it up.


This is one of the most well known art pieces, but it is so haunting and beautiful. It is Leonardo Da Vinci's The Last Supper. Everything in the picture points to Jesus. The disciples are broken into sets of three. Typically two older men and one younger man. There are so many details in this picture. This is a picture of right after Jesus told the disciples he was to be crucified. His face is so excepting and serene while the disciples are in an uproar. See if you can find Judas. He has a bag of money in his hand. 


I know this is almost overused but it so amazing to me. This is, of course, Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel. It shows how all of the Bible stories point to Christ. It also has secular historical figures that Michelangelo believed pointed to Christ. The interesting thing is that Jesus is never picture in this. Interesting Michelangelo almost did not paint this. When the pope asked him to paint it he refused saying that he was a sculptor not a painter but then did it after all (its hard to say no to the major ruling power at the time). My dream is to one day see it in person.


This is Velazquez's Las Meninas (The Maids of Honor). Its really neat because when you look closely you feel like you are in the picture. If you look in the mirror you see the king and queen and you wonder if they are right behind you. You see Velazquez painting the picture. The little girl looks wondering and innocent. It is a really beautiful piece of art. I like how three dimensional it feels.




This is Rembrandt's Descent From the Cross. It is so moving and dark. You feel the emotion as Jesus is taken from the cross. It is not meant to be a historically accurate picture but rather an interpretation. When looking at this picture I almost feel like I am one of the crowd looking on as they take my Savior's body down. 


This is one of my favorite pictures. I want a print for my house. It is Etienne Aubry's Paternal Love. It really shows the happy family. You picture the father coming in from work and the family stopping what they doing to be with him. His father is looking on and admiring what his son accomplished. His wife has stopped her chores to be with her sons. The way she holds one of her son's hands is so touchlingly sweet. The father comes in and what is on his mind is not relaxing or even taking his coat off but picking up his son and being with his family. It is such a sweet picture. 

This is all for now. There are so many more and I wish I could post them all but you would be bored, and I would be here all day. We are only into the Enlightenment so as we progress in class I may post more that I am loving for your enjoyment (ok really for mine). I know its not a usual post but I hope someone enjoys the art as I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comments!! I love hearing from you. :)