Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Last night Isaiah took me on a surprise date night. It was wonderful. I love being surprised. I hate knowing I'm going to be surprised, but I love just randomly getting surprised to go on dates. I have the most amazing husband, but this blog isn't about that.

Part of our date is to go see the new Narnia movie, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (TVDT). We have a movie theater near us that has movies for $4.50 and $8.00 for 3D so we splurged and saw the 3D version. Honestly the 3D wasn't that much better than the regular, and I just got a headache, but it was nice to try it once.

Now TVDT was my favorite of the Narnia books so I was really looking forward to this movie. I've read the book I don't know how many times, and love the old BBC versions of the book. And its so intrigueing, and I think one of C.S. Lewis's books.

If you haven't read The Chronicles of Narnia its about some children who travel to another world. This book is well into the series, but basically 3 children travel to Narnia to help the king of the world, Caspian, go on a voyage to find the 7 lords. They travel to various islands and have many adventures. They encounter slave traders, dragons, a pool that changes everything to gold, a star that becomes a woman and an island that brings all their worse fears to life. Its a great book, filled with adventure and lessons.

Needless to say, I had high hopes for the movie. I was expecting the movie to just add to the book, kind of like when Disney made the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I was sadly mistaken.

Disney kept some of the plotline and some of the stories in the book but left out a lot of things. And changed so much it almost hurts. It felt like Disney was just interested in showing off the special effects they could now accomplish, with some thought to the original book, but only enough to keep the readers of the original book happy.

I love the book. I would recommend the series to anyone, young or old. C.S. Lewis wrote it as an allegory to Christian life, which is the best part. There is so much to learn about being a great Christian. C.S. Lewis wrote many books about Christian living which are amazing, and these allegories teach so much, and yet are so entertaining.

I would definitely suggest the books, but the movie is not that great in regards to the book. It would be ok if I hadn't read the book yet. But honestly, I would stick to reading the books.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comments!! I love hearing from you. :)